PACU RN Instructions
Thank you for taking care of our patients
All of Dr. Roache’s patients go through surgical education prior to his/her surgery. Please note the following:
- Patients are required to obtain their medications before surgery. They have these medications at home. Dr. Roache utilizes the opioid sparing pathway for almost all patients. Please see the OSP sheet for specifics. Please let the patient know when it is safe to start pain medications based upon what you administer in the PACU
- Patients are to wear the sling at ALL times, except when showering and performing home exercises
- Home exercises may commence tomorrow. Patients are to perform elbow flexion and extension, finger flexion and extension and pendulum 4-5 times per day for approximately 2 minutes at a time. We DO NOT want hip/body movement with pendulum and request small circles no bigger than a small dinner plate of movement originating from the shoulder only
- Patients have received instructions on the Cold Therapy Unit and have it at home. Patients are to use the CTU 20-30 minutes every hour while awake. CTU use may begin immediately.
- Patients may shower 24-48 hours after surgery. Patients should leave bulky dressings in place until showering. Avoid soaking sutures in water. Wash with mild soap and water, pat dry and cover with regular bandage, NO ointment please.
- Formal physical therapy has already been scheduled for each patient per Dr. Roache’s protocols. Please advise patients to refuse additional therapy appointments and/or additional scheduling requests unless directed by our office.
- Patients should contact our office if they experience any of the following:
- Fever over 101
- Excessive swelling
- Purulent discharge
- Excessive bleeding
- Persistent nausea/vomiting
- Opioid Sparing Pathway -Spanish
- Opioid Sparing Pathway -English
- Post Shoulder Arthroscopy Instructions Bilingual
- Post Shoulder Arthroscopy Instructions English
You will need the Adobe Reader to view and print these documents.